Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Interning With Primitive Pursuits

Ever wanted to get a taste of what it’s like to work as an intern with a nature-based education organization? Step into my shoes and join the Primitive Pursuits team on this nonstop journey of learning.


The great benefit of this experience is that I instantly became an active participant…..a learner among the kids, a mentor to my peers and to the kids, a leader of program activities, and a contributor to an organization which encourages my input.


Would you love to work with kids in nature, but have never had the opportunity to learn about primitive technology and aidless survival? Have no fear! I was in the same boat when I first started interning with Primitive Pursuits. One of the best aspects of working here is that I am constantly in a state of active learning; I learn by doing. I then put these skills to use in other scenarios, thereby reinforcing them.


In addition to learning primitive skills, I feel that throughout my time here I have learned more life skills such as leadership, teamwork, community building, risk management, and self-awareness than I do in a typical classroom setting. I may be working at a program with other instructors out in the field one day, and the next day I may be in the office working at the computer. Either way, the skills I master will stay with me for the rest of my life because I am putting them to use by observing, doing, and teaching them.


Katie Power grew up in Newtown, Connecticut exploring the woods and creeks near her house. Now a student at Ithaca College studying Outdoor Adventure Leadership, she has continued her love for exploration, seeking out new adventures withinthe woods of Ithaca and surrounding areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment